Dr. Akinola “Mike” Segun Ayokunle holds a PhD in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the University of Johannesburg, South Africa. He is a Researcher, Engineer, Lecturer, Digitalisation and Project Management Consultant. Dr. Akinola is a stratagem-minded professional with years of experience in academia, providing quality teaching and researching in his fields of interest.
He also has work experience in various industries at a senior level. Dr. Ayokunle previously worked with Samsung West Africa (MSV Limited) and rose from an engineer to a deputy Senior Manager. In 2016, he was inducted as a corporate member of the Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE) and the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN). After the completion of his master’s degree, he established Asam Integrated Resources Limited, which is an engineering company based in Nigeria. Dr. Akinola’s passion for advancing the engineering profession led him to be elected as the Assistant Secretary General of the Nigeria Society of Engineers, Ekiti State Chapter, breaking the barrier as the youngest person to hold this position.
His passion for seeing people excel led him to mentor several students in Nigeria and South Africa. Dr. Ayokunle further pursued his career at the University of Johannesburg as a Tutor, rising to the position of Senior Tutor and then Lecturer. He is with Johannesburg business school researching on digital applications in the healthcare sector.
Professional Body Membership
- South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE)
- Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN)
- Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE)
- Nigeria Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (NIEEE)
- International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (University of Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Master of Science (MSc), Information Technology (National Open University of Nigeria)
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (University of Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria)
Teaching and Research Interests
- Next-Generation Communication
- Digital Healthcare
- Radio Frequency/Microwave
- Wireless Communication
- Antennas theory
- Engineering Education Development
- Communication Systems Applications